International Students

FISIPOL UGM welcomes students from around the world to apply and take advantage of the high-quality education that the faculty has to offer.


General Entry requirements

  1. Meet all academic standards required by Indonesian universities;
  2. Receive a letter of admission from the Indonesian Higher Education Office;
  3. Submit a statement of source of funding for Bachelor, Master or Doctoral courses;
  4. Submit medical statement issued by home country’s recognized doctor or hospital;
  5. Submit a statement saying that the applicant agrees to comply with Indonesian university regulations.

Specific Entry Requirements

All international students intending to study in Indonesian universities for academic programs, professional course work, language and cultural classes or practical training programs should provide the following documents:

  1. A letter of Admission from the university. 
  2. A certified copy of secondary level certificate/diploma and academic transcripts.
  3. A statement on source of funding or bank statement.
  4. A copy of valid passport.
  5. A letter of sponsorship from Indonesian institutions/agencies or family in Indonesia supporting the student's intention to study.
  6. A red-background, passport-size (4 cm X 6 cm) photo.
  7. A medical statement issued by home country's authorized institutions or hospitals.

Students undertaking practical training programs should also submit a letter of recommendation from Indonesian universities or institutes where they study. Procedures to apply for student visas:

  1. Applicants submit the application and all supporting documents stated in the specific entry requirements directly to intended university or institute.
  2. Should an applicant receive an offer of admission, the university becomes the applicant's facilitator or sponsor during his/ her period of study in Indonesia.
  3. The university sends a covering letter requesting study permit for the applicant and all supporting documents to the Directorate General of the Indonesian Higher Education.
  4. The Directorate General of the Indonesian Higher Education recommends the applicant's academic standing to the Bureau of Foreign Affairs and Public Relations (BKLN) and the Secretariat General of the Ministry of National Education.
  5. The Bureau of Foreign Affairs and Public Relations (BKLN) and the Ministry of National Education and all related departments discuss and review the applicant's documents in a Clearing House discussion forum.
  6. The Bureau of Foreign Affairs and Public Relations (BKLN) and the Ministry of National Education grant a permit for the applicant and send a permit letter to respective university. A copy is sent to the applicant as well.
  7. Applicants already residing in Indonesia may directly apply to the universities and submit all necessary supporting documents listed earlier.

Procedures to get Visas: We strongly suggest that to visit Indonesia, you do not use visas other than the temporary stay visa (commonly called VITAS), because inconveniences may occur. For example, if your stay is for study purpose, which requires the VKSB (Visa Kunjungan Sosial Budaya/Social and Cultural Visit Visa), you will normally be granted a permit for 2 month's stay. You will, however, need to extend your visa at your local immigration office every month for the whole duration of 6 months. Furthermore, you will have to apply for a new visa from the nearest Indonesian Embassy (this means that you will have to leave Indonesia) after 6 month's stay.

Visa types and application procedures for stay permit

A. Types of visas for staying in Indonesia.

  1. Diplomatic Visa
  2. Working Visa
  3. Tourist Visa
  4. Socio-cultural Visa
  5. Limited Stay Visa

The appropriate visas for international students who wish to study in Indonesia is the Limited Stay Visa. This is issued by the Directorate General of the Immigration Office in Jakarta.

B. Application procedures for Limited Stay Visas.

There are two ways in obtaining Limited Stay Visas for international students who wish to study in Indonesia.

1. International students who are still in their country of origin and will visit Indonesia with the Limited Stay Visa (VITAS)/one year visa Procedure:

a. After the issuance of study permit by the Foreign Affairs Bureau and the National Education Ministry, the university requests a Limited Stay Visa (VITAS) for international students from the Directorate General of Immigration in Jakarta. The University or its representative can help arrange the Limited Stay Visa (VITAS) if students submit: • 3 passport-size photographs • a copy of valid passport • a curriculum vitae or resume

b. The Director General of Immigration issues the Limited Stay Visa (VITAS) through the Indonesian embassy/consulate in their home country

c. International Students apply for the Limited Stay Visa (VITAS) through the Indonesian embassy/consulate in their home country

d. With the Limited Stay Visa (VITAS), international students may visit Indonesia and the respective university.

e. The university submits the Limited Stay Visa (VITAS) and requests the Limited Stay Permit (KITAS) from the local Immigration Office and Police Registration Card (SKLD) from the local Police Station.

2. Applicants visiting Indonesia with the Social-Cultural Visit Visa Procedure:

a. Applicants may use the Social-Cultural Visit Visa from Indonesian embassy/consulate and the study permit to enroll in the university.

b. If the applicant is admitted, the university will request a study permit from the Ministry of National Education

c. After the study permit has been issued, the university will request the local immigration office to convert the immigration status of the Social-Cultural Visit Visa to the VITAS.

d. The head of the Local immigration office will send the conversion proposal to the Immigration Central Office in Jakarta through the Ministry of Justice and Human Rights.

e. The Immigration Central Office in Jakarta can only give approval on the conversion request after the students have stayed for 2 months.

f. Subject to approval for conversion, students may apply for the KITAS from the local immigration office and the Police registration card from the local Police Station.

How to extend stay permit The university will regularly request an extension of the KITAS of its international students on a yearly basis from the local immigration office based on the duration of the permit. The University will forward the KITAS to the Directorate General of Higher Education. Arrangement of KITAS for international students studying in institutions which are not under the National Education Ministry will be handled by the institutions themselves. Once the extended stay permit is granted, the international students should obtain the SKLD.

For further information please kindly contact:

  • Office of International Affairs Universitas Gadjah Mada Bulaksumur, Yogyakarta 55281, INDONESIA telephone: (62-274) 563974 email: website:
  • Global Engagement Office Fisipol UGM, telephone: (62-274) 563362 ext 182 email: website: